Total Core Mall Leased Space Strong at 95.0%
Core Mall Sales Per Square Foot Reached $605 in June, up 12.2% compared to 2019
Average Renewal Spreads were 2.3% for the Six Months Ended June 30th
Core Mall Total Occupancy Increased 480 Basis Points to 93.8%
PREIT (NYSE: PEI) today reported results for the three and six months ended June 30, 2022. A description of each non-GAAP financial measure and the related reconciliation to the comparable GAAP financial measure is provided in the tables accompanying this release.
“It has been a busy and very productive quarter. In the face of an evolving economic backdrop, our team continues to deliver strong results, bringing new tenants to the portfolio and executing on asset sales,” said Joseph F. Coradino, Chairman and CEO of PREIT. “We continue to drive the quality of our properties, raise capital through asset sales and pay down debt, improving the balance sheet and setting the stage for the anticipated exercise of our credit facility extension.”
- Same Store NOI, excluding lease termination revenue, increased 3.6% for the six months ended June 30,2022 compared to the six months ended June 30, 2021 driven by increased occupancy and rental revenue.
- Same Store NOI, excluding lease termination revenue, decreased 5.7% for the three months ended June 30, 2022 compared to the three months ended June 30, 2021.
- The primary driver of the decrease relative to prior year quarter was the recognition of bad debt recoveries that positively impacted the quarter ended June 30, 2021.
- Robust leasing activity is driving increased occupancy with Core Mall Total Occupancy increasing by 480 basis points to 93.8% compared to the second quarter 2021. Core Mall Non-anchor Occupancy eclipsed 90%, improving 450 basis points to 90.5% compared to the second quarter of 2021.
- Total Core Mall leased space, at 95.0%, exceeds occupied space by 120 basis points, and core mall non-anchor leased space, at 92.3%, exceeds occupied space by 180 basis points when including executed new leases slated for future occupancy, demonstrating the rapid pace of leasing activity.
- For the rolling 12 month period ended June 30, 2022, core mall comparable sales grew to $605 per square foot.
- Average renewal spreads for the six months ended June 30, 2022 were 2.3%.
- Two new trustees were elected to the Company’s Board of Trustees.
- The Company made notable advances in its capital-raising efforts. As part of its debt reduction plan, the Company has applied asset sale proceeds and excess cash from operations to pay down debt by $82 million during the six months ended June 30, 2022. The Company currently has over $65 million in purchase and sales agreements executed, and has several others in the final stages of negotiation for a total of over $200 million of potential incremental asset sales pending
Leasing and Redevelopment
- 297,000 square feet of leases are signed for future openings, which is expected to contribute annualized gross rent of $5.9 million.
- Construction has started on a new self-storage facility in previously unused below grade space at Mall at Prince George’s in Hyattsville, MD.
- A lease has been executed with Tilted 10 and Tilt Studio, an action-packed bi-level 104,000 square foot indoor family entertainment center at Willow Grove Park, adding family entertainment to this locally-loved destination shopping experience, and is expected to open in the third quarter 2022.
- Phoenix Theatres at Woodland Mall, occupying 47,000 square feet, opened in April 2022.
- At Moorestown Mall, Cooper University Healthcare has started construction on its facility that is expected to open in the second half of 2023. The sale of land for multi-family development was completed in June 2022. Construction is expected to begin on this project in August 2022 with initial occupancy anticipated in fall 2024.
- Landlord work is underway for a new prototype, 32,000 square foot, LEGO® Discovery Center at Springfield Town Center with expected opening in third quarter 2023.
- Leases are executed for 10 stores within the portfolio with expanding retailers Rose & Remington, BoxLunch and Lovisa.
Primary Factors Affecting Financial Results for the Three Months Ended June 30, 2022 and 2021
- Net loss attributable to PREIT common shareholders was $17.6 million (which takes into consideration the accrual of preferred dividends that accumulated during the quarter but have not been paid), or $3.32 per basic and diluted share for the three months ended June 30, 2022, compared to net loss attributable to PREIT common shareholders of $31.4 million, or $6.04 per basic and diluted share for the three months ended June 30, 2021.
- Funds from Operations increased in the three months ended June 30, 2022 compared to the prior year period due primarily to a gain of $8.8 million from the sale of our Moorestown multifamily land parcel and a decrease in general and administrative expenses offset by lower NOI, including lease termination revenue.
- Same Store NOI, including lease terminations, decreased by $4.4 million, or 8.3% due primarily to lower lease termination revenue and lower rental income compared to the same quarter last year as a result of accounting treatment for abatements that positively impacted the 2021 quarter partially offset by increases in minimum rent and percentage rent.
- FFO for the three months ended June 30, 2022 was $1.72 per diluted share and OP Unit compared to $1.51 per diluted share and OP Unit for the three months ended June 30, 2021.
All NOI and FFO amounts referenced as primary factors affecting financial results above include our share of unconsolidated properties’ revenues and expenses. Additional information regarding changes in operating results for the three and six months ended June 30, 2022 and 2021 is included on page 15.
Liquidity and Financing Activities
As of June 30, 2022, the Company had $113.9 million available under its First Lien Revolving Credit Facility. The Company’s corporate cash balances, when combined with available credit, provide total liquidity of $127.6 million.
Multifamily Land Parcels: During the quarter, the Company closed on the sale of land for 375 residential units at Moorestown Mall for approximately $12 million. The Company has executed agreements of sale for land parcels for anticipated multi-family development at three properties. One parcel is being re-marketed and the parcel at Exton Square Mall is included in the $28.8 million purchase price.
Hotel Parcels: The Company has an executed purchase and sale agreement for the sale of a parcel for hotel development at Springfield Town Center for $2.7 million.
Other Parcels: In February, we completed the redemption of preferred equity issued as part of the sale of our New Garden land parcel. In connection with this settlement, we received approximately $2.5 million. The Company expects to close on the sale of an anchor box at Valley View Mall for $2.6 million in the second half of the year. In July, the Company executed an amended purchase and sale agreement for the sale of Exton Square Mall for $28.8 million, which is expected to close in the second half of the year. In April, we executed a purchase and sale agreement for the sale of the former Sears TBA location at Moorestown Mall for $3.35 million. In May, we executed a purchase and sales agreement for the sale of 11 outparcels for $32.5 million. The sale of 3 parcels for over $5 million has been completed at this time.